Charles CHITTY (1781-1866) - younger son of Joseph of Smyrna and Chadwell, Dagenham, and his wife Sarah CARTWRIGHT, and brother of Joseph 'STATUTES' CHITTY (1775-1841) (page 18), was born 1781 Nov 3 and baptised Dec 8 at Dagenham.
He married 1810 May 2 (?where) Susannah Elizabeth JOURDAN, born 1786 Jan 26 (according to family Bible), daughter of John JOURDAN of Peckham Bye and Bedford Place.
In 1810 he was left the estate known as Muntham at Itchingfield near Horsham, Sussex, by Miss Elizabeth MERLOTT, last of her family. The CHITTYs and MERLOTTs were cousins by virtue of the descent of both from HUSE.
That Miss MERLOTT left Muntham to Charles rather than to his elder brother Joseph may have been because Joseph had inherited the family Chadwell lands. Possibly, also, she knew of, and disapproved, Joseph's irregular marital situation.
Charles died 1866 May 28 and was buried Jun 4 at Itchingfield. His widow died ten years later, 1876 May 26, and was buried there on Jun 1. Charles's Will was proved by his son William Farington CHITTY of Muntham and his son-in-law Frederick PAINE of Barton near Bury St Edmund's, personal effects being valued at under £450.
Charles and Susannah Elizabeth had eleven children:
1. John Merlott, b.18ll Feb 8, d.1827 Jul 6, buried 15, Itchingfield.
2. Marian, b.1814 Feb 12, ?buried Itchingfield 1815 Jul 15 or (CC) Oct 5 or died/buried 1895 Sep 29/Nov 18, spinster?.
3. Charles Henry, b.1816 Sep 9 (CC) or Oct 6, d.1835 May l0, buried 17, Itchingfield (Gent's Mag).
4. Caroline Jourdan, b.1818 Feb 6, married 1846 Nov 3, Itchingfield, Frederick PAIN(E) of Great Barton, Suffolk, and had issue.
5. Emily Merlott, b.1819 Sep 29, d.1902 May 21. In 1851 Census Emily, born at Itchingfield, daughter of landed proprietor, was visiting aunt Elizabeth JOURDAN, 56, fundholder, born in Middlesex, at Chobham Lodge, Chobham.